The government issued a circular Monday ordering the easing a ban on indoor politics all across the country.
Before the vocal world of savy Bangladeshis succumb to the irresistable urge to congratulate their beloved entity, let me remind all of the strings those are attached to this mock gesture towards democracy.
- There will be no meetings in open places.
- The political parties have to inform the police about any meeting, 48 hours ahead of its start.
- But the electronic media will not be allowed to broadcast the meetings live.
- Political parties will not be able to use loudspeakers for the meetings.
- The meetings will take decisions only on organisational activities and elections. No other discussions are allowed, according to the circular.
- The government has limited the venues for meetings to houses, community centres, hotels, restaurants and party offices.