1. The founder and all in all Ziaur Rahman is dead. Legtiimate-demoratic heir, Justice Sattar failed to stand up to the expectation.
2. A military General unlawfully removed elected and constitutuional BNP government. BNP is in serious zeopardy.
3. All top brass BNP politicians deserted the party. In fact at some point, starting BNP number 2 Shah Aziz, , top 20-50 leaders deserted mainstream BNP to fomr the king’s party fraction of BNP. Rest of the leadership were in jail with corruption charges. Prominent among the jailed were Moudud Ahmed, Saifur Rahman etc. Many leaders with corruption charges were hiding . Col Oli Ahmed was one of the leaders in hiding.
4. Khaleda Zia was brought in to hold the party from imploding and was appointed vice Chairman of the party by party chairman Justice Sattar. But no one ever thought in their wildest dream that Khaleda could hold the party. She was alreday marked ( by huge propaganda machine) as a ‘matric pass’ ( High school graduate) housewife.
5. The turncoats with Shah Aziz, Matin, Shasul Huda called for reform in the party. They called for a council in ‘Beauty cinema hall’. They sacked party Chairmen Justice Sattar and Vice Chair Khaleda and other jialed or hiding leaders like Saifur Rahman, Moudud Ahmed, Col oli etc and adopted a resolution to elect Shamsul Huda as president and MA Matin as SG.
6. There was open government backing to promote the turncoat group led bu Huda Matin.
7. Khaleda Zia was made unwanted in Naya Paltan party office and the party office in Naya Paltan was given away to the turncoat fraction. ( That office efefctively remained out of BNP hand until BNP took back power by 1991 election).
8. Any midlevel or grass roots leaders who dared speak out against turncoats like Shah Aziz, Huda, Matin etc. were arested and tortured by army led joint forces.
9. Khaleda Zia continued her relentless struggle to rebuild the party out of scratch. She was first put on house arrest in 1984, less than 3 years after her husband’s death.
10. Khaleda Zia boycotted all the election under the illegal regime. Her party office, party election symbol were hijacked under the patronage of the government.
The rest is history.